Translate

Friday, May 25, 2007

Degrees of Separation

Subscribing to the theory that there are six degrees of separation between any two people means more than knowing someone who knows someone who knows someone, etc., who knows Kevin Bacon. In actuality, any degree of separation means a lot more than that. It means that you know someone who knows someone who is unhappy, someone who is in love, someone who feels unloved. It means that you affect the life of someone who knows someone who knows someone who is sick, someone who is dying, or someone who is on the verge of unleashing some great potential for the good of unknown numbers of someones.

Whichever degree of separation you are - whether you are the one who just found out that you are sick or the friend of a friend of someone who knows someone who met someone at the doctor's office who had just been diagnosed with cancer - you will have an effect, direct or indirect, on the lives of many, many people. You may be raising a future teacher who will open the eyes of children who would otherwise never have been so touched by learning; you may be sitting next to a woman who, if not for your careless words of kindness, would have felt she had no hope in the world; you may be reading the blog of a soon-to-be highly acclaimed author making a difference in people's lives (your lips to God's ears).

The point is - well, there are a few points here, but today's focus will be this one - that you may have no idea why you are where you are today in your life. The world may make no sense to you and hope may be a distant memory, but as long as you are here, in this world, in this life, you are a degree of separation for someone and someone is that degree of separation for you. You are someone's link to some promise of the future and someone is the same for you. How sad would it be if your link were taken away before it served its purpose? And how sad it would be for you to miss the opportunity to be that link for someone else.

Think of it this way: If I know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows Kevin Bacon, I miss my chance to claim that relationship if any one of those people ceases to be a link. And then where am I? Kevin Bacon-less.

Some Kind of Angel

How did you know that I would make it?
How did you know I could stand on my own?
There was no way that you could have faked it -
you never doubted that I would be strong.

How did you sense the secrets of my heart?
How did you find the key to my dreams?
You seemed to expect that I'd be victorious.
How did you know? How did you see?

Are you some kind of angel, sent down from heaven
to help me through struggles and to set my heart free?
Will you stay here forever and keep me in your heart,
'cause I'm sure you're an angel and I need you with me.

How'd you decide that you would let me in?
What made you so willing to put your trust in me?
You held out your hand, so sure I would take it,
How did you know? How did you see?

Are you some kind of angel, sent down from heaven
to help me through struggles and to set my heart free?
Will you stay here forever and keep me in your heart,
'cause I'm sure you're an angel and I need you with me.

Thank God for my angel, sent down from heaven,
you've helped me through trouble and set my heart free.
You'll be with me always, 'cause I've kept you in my heart,
My heavenly angel, sent down to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are. :) -r

Anonymous said...

Florence, it's true that many of our influences are a summation of our chance encounters with fellow souls. We should savor any experience that enhances our perspective of life.