Translate

Sunday, October 7, 2007

My Potential

For so long in my life,
I tried to achieve,
to realize the potential
others thought they had seen.
But for all of that time,
it eluded me, so
I could not understand
something I should have known.
So I tried to become
the "me" they knew I'd be
if I'd only embrace
the potential in me.
Then, I'd twist and I'd turn,
change my interests and look,
follow all the instructions,
memorize every book.
I'd try so hard to succeed,
to somehow fit in their mold,
yet I'd always fall short,
staying out in the cold.
I could never quite grasp,
I could not comprehend
the "me" that should result
from their dreams in the end.
Never one to give up,
I have fought the good fight,
letting this search consume
more than one sleepless night.
And now that I am tired,
bruised and battered, it seems,
I've decided instead
to realize my own dreams.
You see, the me I've become
has invented her look -
She defines her own interests
and dictates her own book.

I am learning that I will never be exactly the person anyone else expects or wants me to be - no matter how hard I try. And that's okay. No other person will ever be exactly what I expect or want either. I guess I can only hope that the people I love will accept the person I turn out to be just as I hope that I can accept the people they turn out to be.

No comments: