Translate

Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Great Physician: The doctor is in!

Let me ask you this: If your friend told you she had been hit by a car while training for an upcoming 5K and that, as a result, she couldn't stand on her leg without excruciating pain, what would you tell her? Ok, so now let's assume you're a sensible person (which I'm sure we all claim to be) and you tell your friend to get to the doctor's office right away. You may even offer to take her there yourself if you're able. Now, let's say she listens to you, goes to the doctor and he tells her that her leg is broken and she needs a cast. Your friend calls you and says, well, the doctor says I need a cast for my broken leg, but I need to use my leg, so I don't think I'm going to get the cast. As a sensible person - and a good friend - what would  you tell your friend next? Let me guess: in not so many words, you would tell her to hang up the phone, get her leg set and deal with it for as long as the doctor says. Right?

Now, let's say that after the prescribed amount of time, said friend has her cast removed. She calls you and says that, although the excruciating pain is gone and she only has occasional twinges of discomfort, the doctor has advised her that she cannot go back to training for several weeks, and that if she does, she will cause permanent damage that will ensure she never runs another 5K without a lot of pain and ongoing discomfort. Would you tell your friend to ignore her doctor's advice? That from what you figure, she's followed doctor's orders long enough, and that she deserves the joy of running a 5K. "I mean, the guy who hit you with his car is out there running 5Ks like crazy. You deserve some of your own."

Hmmm...I doubt it. Then why is it that many of us, even those who profess to follow Christ, relax our standards a little when the body part in question is the heart? People who haven't had the chance to heal - truly heal - from emotional devastation should not be encouraged to "pay it forward" by entertaining anything even remotely resembling a romantic relationship. It's just foolish. Foolish to think that because someone isn't breaking down every five seconds anymore, she's ready to go out and get back in the mix. In any way. The pain of a broken heart lasts so much longer than the initial despair, anger, hurt and other outward signs of the utter devastation it causes. And the repercussions of using that broken body part before it is fully mended are potentially much more far-reaching than running a 5K on a leg that hasn't set properly. You're not the only one who gets hurt - everybody in your life does.

As hard as it is at times, I am letting the Great Physician heal me, love me and make me feel precious, valued and beautiful before I let anybody throw his hat in the ring - even if he "just wants to get to know me."

"You walk with me through fire, and You heal all my disease..."

2 comments:

Joni said...

Thanks for sharing this great analogy and your journey that will bless others whose hearts are healing and help their friends remember that broken hearts need time to heal. Most importantly thanks for pointing everyone who reads this to the only One who can heal us. "...by His wounds we are healed." Is 53:5

Word_sculptress said...

Thank you, Joni. And thank you for reminding me to snap the rubberband whenever I might entertain foolish thoughts. Of any kind. :-)